Zhiyun Tibetan Monastery China
Built in 1727, situated about 17km from Lijiang, Yunnan Province, China. It differs from the traditional Tibetan architecture as the carvings and designs taken from Naxi Han and Bai people.
I visited this monastery with a tour guide arriving early morning in time to watch the young monks chanting and playing traditional music. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take photographs inside . The ages of the monks were between six and seventeen, it is a great honor for a male member of a Tibetan family to become a monk.
Stupa’s may represent the five purified elements
- The square base represents earth
- The hemispherical dome/vase represents water
- The conical spire represents fire
- The upper lotus parasol and the crescent moon represents air
- The sun and the dissolving point represents the element of space
This was the highlight of my China trip, it was a very spiritual and moving experience.